Ranking Our Rivals
1. florida – Until we play at least even with them over a multi-year period in the Cocktail Party, we will not be where we want to be – consistently ranked in the Top 10. UGA has never had a losing record against UF in football, but those last twenty or so years were rather ugly.
2. ga tech – The instate drama is back, after Tech finally broke through, barely beating us two seasons ago and legitimately expecting to beat us again last season … didn’t happen, to the prognosticators’ surprise. GEORGIA = state champs. Congrats little Tech, you are a big number two.
3. tennessee – This salty, mainly modern two-division era rivalry has seen Herschel debut over Bill Bates, a prolonged dry spell for the Dawgs (9 straight losses over 11 years), Donnan’s goalpost teardown breakthrough, Richt’s big road breakthrough and continued Dawg dominance, the Vols striking back, and most recently Lil Dooley getting the big job in Knoxville despite having a losing head coaching record. Payback for last years utter beat down on Rocky Top is a must in the Classic City this season.
4. auburn – The Deep South’s oldest rivalry was first played in Piedmont Park of The ATL. Georgia has a four-game winning streak against the War Eagle-Tigers and can’t expect to beat them forever; one more evens the series.
5. s.carolina – The Border Bash is Augusta’s version of a big game pep rally, but as long as Cocky only wins once in a long while, this rivalry is a distant fifth on our list (second on theirs after Clemson, by the way).
6. louisiana state – This is an off schedule, rotational opponent that seems to end up in Atlanta when we do. Dawgs have usually outclassed talented Bayou Bengals in recent meetings, but last year, “We was robbed.”
7. bama – The class of the conference and nation last season and perhaps the most storied of all college football programs. They play defense and run the ball. A natural geographic rival that we rarely see on the field, or they would be higher on this list.
8. the “big ten” – We have never lost a game to this so-called big conference that has eleven teams. Lovely to see them get sprinted past in bowl games.
9. sec also-rans: Kentucky, Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss State, nor Arkansas shall win the SEC. Just won’t happen. (Neither will Carolina, but they are a rival.)
10. clemson – UGA’s nearest physical rival used to be an every year foe, not as oft any more.
GO DAWGS, GO!